Friday, July 16, 2010

Finz, Ibn Battuta Mall

In a nutshell: some different menu items but a more limited menu than its neighbours
4/5

On future visits to Ibn Battuta Mall I wouldn't choose Finz over Zyng or Japengo (the restaurants right next door to Finz). The food we had was very good - bar one item - and the service was friendly but there weren't that many items that jumped out at me from the menu and its competitors win hands down in terms of choice.

Unfortunately I forgot to take my camera so can't include a photo of the very funky Espetada I had. This is a Portuguese dish and your choice of beef / chicken / prawn is cooked on a metal skewer (like a kebab) and is then hung vertically off a specially made holder. The top of the skewer has a small metal bowl attached into which you pour your sauce which then drips down the meat/prawns. Fantastic presentation and fantastic taste. It's usually served with a sort of pilaf rice but I asked for salad. Well, I actually for salad in addition to the rice but our waiter got mixed up. It didn't matter though because I couldn't even finish the 5 jumbo prawns and gave one to Simon. I would definitely recommend this dish for the wow factor of the presentation as well as the flavour.

The one hiccup we had was that my friend Louissa asked if they had wholemeal bread, which they said they did. When her sandwich arrived it was clearly made with white ciabatta bread which the waiter assured us was 'homemade'!!! The manager came over and told us the flour was 'herbal flour' so was enriched with herbs and the supplier had advised them that this was actually better than wholemeal flour. Now, either the manager was trying to pull the wool over our eyes or he'd been successfully conned by the supplier.

Price-wise it is pretty much the same as the other restaurants in Ibn Battuta with mains ranging from 50-80 Dhs. We would go back - not for a 'wholemeal' sandwich though!

2 comments:

  1. I can see why the waiter thought I had said 'homemade' over 'wholemeal', I guess they do sound (sort of) similar, however, it still doesn't explain the logic behind the addition of herbs in the flour making it, overall, a wiser choice than wholemeal! Plus, I don't recall seeing any herbs in the ciabatta bread! In the end, I only had one bite of it as I try to stick to a low GI diet on most occasions, but the fish itself was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Experience the best hotel near Ibn Battuta for a comfortable stay. Certainly, everyone prefers the first central hotel suites for the benefits and for the best experience. Calm and quiet atmosphere and hassle-free booking support for a safe stay.

    ReplyDelete